Re: Why active list and inactive list?

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Mon Jan 22 2007 - 21:45:39 EST

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Rik van Riel wrote:

> The big one is how we are to do some background aging in a
> clock-pro system, so referenced bits don't just pile up when
> the VM has enough memory - otherwise we might not know the
> right pages to evict when a new process starts up and starts
> allocating lots of memory.

There are two bad choices right?

1. Scan for reference bits

Bad because we may have to scan quite a bit without too much
result. LRU allows us to defer this until memory is tight.
Any such scan will pollute the cache and cause a stall of
the app. You really do not want this for a realtime system.

2. Take faults on reference and update the page state.
Bad because this means a fault if the reference bit
has not been set. Could be many faults.

Clock pro really requires 2 right? So lots of additional page faults?