Re: sigaction's ucontext_t with incorrect stack reference whenSA_SIGINFO is being used ?

From: Nicholas Miell
Date: Tue Jan 23 2007 - 00:38:39 EST

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 09:57 +0100, Xavier Roche wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a probably louzy question regarding sigaction() behaviour when an
> alternate signal stack is used: it seems that I can not get the user
> stack reference in the ucontext_t stack context ; ie. the uc_stack
> member contains reference of the alternate signal stack, not the stack
> that was used before the crash.
>
> Is this is a normal behaviour ? Is there a way to retrieve the original
> user's stack inside the signal callback ?
>
> The example given below demonstrates the issue:
> top of stack==0x7fffff3d7000, alternative_stack==0x501010
> SEGV==0x7fffff3d6ff8; sp==0x501010; current stack is the alternate stack
>
> It is obvious that the SEGV was a stack overflow: the si_addr address is
> just on the page below the stack limit.

POSIX says:
"the third argument can be cast to a pointer to an object of type
ucontext_t to refer to the receiving thread's context that was
interrupted when the signal was delivered."

so if uc_stack doesn't point to the stack in use immediately prior to
signal generation, this is a bug.

(In theory I should be able to pass the ucontext_t supplied to the
signal handler to setcontext() and resume execution exactly where I left
off -- glibc's refusal to support kernel-generated ucontexts gets in the
way of this, but the point still stands.)

I have no idea who to bother about i386 signal delivery, though. (And I
suspect this bug has probably been copied to other architectures as
well.)

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell@xxxxxxxxxxx>