Re: [ANNOUNCE] System Inactivity Monitor v1.0

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Jan 23 2007 - 13:45:17 EST

Hi!

> > But I still believe it can be out.
> >
> > Do you believe it could be a user-space daemon or what?
>
> Yes, what prevents userspace daemon watching /dev/input/event* to
> provide this functionality?
>
> Well that was my first attempt. Just an hack, but it works. Nonetheless I found
> the kernel-level approach fitting better the problem: it is elegant, simpler
> and more efficient than user-level one.

Well, unfortunately it is also wrong thing to do :-(.

> For example, the subsystem provides at kernel-level handy
> hiberante/suspend/resume callbacks that I use to turn on/off the timer,
> avoiding the time-warp problem. Doing that at user-level would be far more
> messy...

Imagine for a moment that we solve time-warp somehow. Any other
problems? [I'd really like to get "is user idle" solved, but it really
should not be in kernel unless it _has_ to. And time-warp probably
causes problems not only for your daemon.]
Pavel