Re: 2.6.19.2 sky2/acpi crashes

From: Stephen Hemminger
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 12:47:48 EST

Please send sky2 bugs to me <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and
netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I hope some fix could be released soon.

I get problem reports all the time, unfortunately, so far these have
not been reproducible on the configurations and hardware I have. I am
not denying there is a problem, but if I can't reproduce it, it takes
a long time to fix.

Your problem seems to be missed/lost interrupts. If you display
the contents of /proc/interrupts (ie cat /proc/interrupts), it
will show whether level (good), edge (bad) or MSI (good if hw works)
are being used.

Some workaround related things to try are:

1) Adding the module parameter "idle_timeout=10" will cause
the driver to poll for status every 10ms. This is obviously a performance
overhead but it can allow system to function.

2) Disabling MSI with either "pci=nomsi" on boot cmdline or by using
module parameter "disable_msi=1". Message Signaled Interrupts are good,
but it seems some chipsets don't work right.

--
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>