Re: gpu sharing layer for kernel

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 17:40:05 EST

> Why do we want this?
>
> Currently the kernel cannot provide both the fb and drm drivers with
> access to the device model and this means the drm cannot get any
> suspend/resume callbacks. This layer attempts to fix this problem by
> adding a bus for the gpu drivers to attach to. Currently a lowlevel
> binding driver is needed along with optional fb and drm components.

If we were to allow this kind of "sharing" for all PCI devices would
that work out instead? Or would this layer still be needed?

Initially this layer wouldn't be needed, but I'd like to add some
awareness to the drivers, so the drm can tell the fb to stop doing
stuff and vice-versa if necessary.... but perhaps that could be done
with a generic layer also.. or via the lowlevel driver I have...

Dave.