Re: 2.6.18-stable release plans?

From: Mark Rustad
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 22:05:32 EST

On Jan 24, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Chris Rankin wrote:
--- Mark Rustad <mrustad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Exactly. Halting use of a version of the kernel based on a single
incident provides no insight to the source of the problem. It could
be anything...

There is a world of difference between a polite request for more information (although I gave you
everything I had), and fobbing someone off with a story about cosmic rays.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply anything like that. I just happened to notice that the date of the bug report appeared to correlate pretty well with one of the solar flare events last month. I was really trying to share some information that just conceivably might have been related, based on the earlier messages in this thread regarding memory errors.

I don't normally follow solar activity. I have been looking into some system failures that happened last month. The systems had been running with all bus error detection enabled – the hardware set to spontaneously reboot on any uncorrectable error. Since our systems are redundant, performing a reset simply means that the redundant partner will take over, so the reset is the best way to be certain that there is no data corruption. I eventually recalled a radio report last month about a coronal mass ejection on the sun and how things might be disrupted here. I checked out www.spaceweather.com and found that December was a very active month, with three separate X-class flares. I have no way to conclude that the failures that I have seen were influenced by events on the sun, but it seems possible. Compared to our systems, most PCs and even much server- class hardware systems are likely to corrupt a bit just keep on going.

We'll never know if any of these things were correlated with the solar flares because they all seem to be one-off failures. I do find it interesting though. Our systems seem to be doing statistically better this month. What do you think?

--
Mark Rustad, MRustad@xxxxxxx