Re: Excessive printks increase top mem usage?

From: yogeshwar sonawane
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 08:23:49 EST

Subject is updated

On 1/25/07, yogeshwar sonawane <yogyas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,
I am running a user application which will just open/close my driver
(simple one, empty functions with only printks) infinitely.
A massive use of printk can slow down the system noticeably OR it can
affect some time calculations.
Apart from this, it was increasing top mem usage also. After closing
the application, the memory consumption was not coming down(not
freeing mem). Is this the expected behaviour? OR i am missing
something?

Can anybody help me in guiding the reason for this? Any help/links plz.

Thanks in advance,
Yogeshwar