Re: x86 instability with 2.6.1{8,9}

From: Ken Moffat
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 18:57:05 EST

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 04:29:11PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

> Today, I've built 2.6.19.2 without highmem (the box only has 1GB,
> dunno why I'd included that in the original config) and I will
> continue to wait patiently for either a week without problems, or
> something that I can manage to note - although I think at the moment
> that the second coming of the great prophet Zarquon is more likely.

Bizarre - it panic'd again last Thursday while I was in X, but I
still didn't manage to log any output. At the weekend, I had the
bright idea of using chattr +j on the syslog to try to journal any
data, since then it has been fine. So, it isn't down to highmem, and
I still can't trigger it reliably, or get any trace. Tried running
as x86_64 this morning (because cold starts on Thursdays seem
particularly problematic, perhaps it's a time/power-supply-noise
problem), then x86 from a cold start this afternoon.

Time to hope it won't bite me too often, and move on to testing
2.6.20-rc6.

Ken