Kernel 2.6.19.2: Belkin UPS on Serial vs. USB

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 12:54:34 EST

When I disconnect my UPS from the wall, I have to wait 15-30 seconds
before the USB drier 'polls' this information and tells me that the UPS is
on battery power (via knutclient or syslog via nut):

ups@p34 POWER ALERT on Fri Jan 26 12:49:29 EST 2007

With a serial connection, I would get the alerts IMMEDIATELY (0.5-1
seconds) after disconnecting the UPS. My new machine does not have a
serial port built-in, only a serial header, and of course does not come
with an included cable, so I chose to use USB.

My question is, how do I change the polling time for the USB subsystem to
match that of the serial port, or would I not want to do that for other
reasons?

The reason I'd like to is I am not going to see any power alerts for
unless there is a power outage for longer than 15-30 seconds.

Justin.