Re: [RFC] Limit the size of the pagecache

From: KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 13:04:30 EST

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 02:29:55 -0800
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:15:10 +0900
> KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > - One for stability
> > When a customer constructs their detabase(Oracle), the system often goes to oom.
> > This is because that the system cannot allocate DMA_ZOME memory for 32bit device.
> > (USB or e100)
> > Not allowing to use almost all pages as page cache (for temporal use) will be some help.
> > (Note: construction DB on ext3....so all writes are serialized and the system couldn't
> > free page cache.)
>
> I'm surprised that any reasonable driver has a dependency on ZONE_DMA. Are
> you sure? Send full oom-killer output, please.

Our ia64 server's USB/e100 device uses 32bit-PCI, so sometimes OOM happens on DMA zone.
(ia64's ZONE_DMA is 0-4G area.)

But very sorry....I was confused.

I looked the issue above again and found ZONE_NORMAL/x86 was exhausted.

This was interesiting incident,

Constructing DB on 4Gb system has no problem.
Constructing DB on 8Gb system always causes OOM.

I asked the users to change DB's parameter. (this happened on RHEL4/linux-2.6.9 series)

> > And...some customers want to keep memory Free as much as possible.
> > 99% memory usage makes insecure them ;)
>
> Tell them to do "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches", then wait three minutes?

Ah, maybe we can use it on RHEL5. We'll test it. thank you.

Thanks,
-Kamezawa