Re: How to create a fixed length character/block device/file ?

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 16:05:31 EST

Phillip Susi napsal(a):
Khai Doan wrote:
Sorry if this is the wrong list. I've search google, but have not found solution to my problem.

I have a long running application which split out lots of debugging information. I can't redirect the output to a regular file because that file would grow and eat up all the diskspace. I can't redirect to /dev/null. What I want is the last 1MB of the output before my application terminated. So I need to create a special file / device on the system. Please tell me if there is an existing device that I can use, or point me in the right direction so that I can role my own device.

myapp | tail -c1048576 > logfile

AFAIK this will output the file after the app termination. He wants to know the log before that.

Just write your own reader which will output last meg in some intervals...

regards,
--
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby/ Jiri Slaby
faculty of informatics, masaryk university, brno, cz