Re: Raid 10 question/problem [ot]

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Sat Jan 27 2007 - 16:00:52 EST

On Jan 27 2007 10:42, Marc Perkel wrote:

>> >I'm using Fedora Core 6. /dev/md0 and /dev/md1, buth of which are raid
>> >1 arrays survive the reboot. But when I make a raid 0 out of those two
>> >raid arrays that's what is vanishing.
>>
>> That's interesting. I am using Aurora Corona [FC6+RHide], and all but
>> md0 vanishes. (Reason for that is that udev does not create the nodes
>> md1-md31 on boot, so mdadm cannot assemble the arrays.)
>
>What do you have to do to get UDEV to create /dev/md2? Is there a config
>file for that?

That's the big question. On openSUSE 10.2, all the md devices get created
automatically. I suppose that happens as part of udev processing all the
queued kernel events at bootup.

On default FC6 install (i.e. without any raid), only /dev/md0 is present
(like in Aurora). That alone, and that you got md1 there, and I don't, is
strange.

I think I found it. udev does not do md at all, for some reason.
This line in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit is quite "offending":

[ -x /sbin/nash ] && echo "raidautorun /dev/md0" | nash --quiet

Starting a init=/bin/bash prompt and doing "/usr/sbin/udevmonitor &"
there reveals:

bash-3.1# echo raidautorun /dev/md0 | /sbin/nash --quiet
UEVENT[1169934663.372139] add@/block/md0
bash-3.1# echo raidautorun /dev/md1 | /sbin/nash --quiet
UEVENT[1169934667.601027] add@/block/md1

No sign of md1. (Wtf here!) I can see why it's broken, but to nash every
md device sounds like the worst solution around. I'd say the Fedora boot
process is severely broken wrt. md. Well, what's your rc.sysinit looking
like, since you seem to be having a md1 floating around?

-`J'