Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc6 - sky2 resume breakage

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jan 29 2007 - 17:38:03 EST

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> Reverting commit 44ade178249fe53d055fd92113eaa271e06acddd, which added
> this hackery in the first place, makes the device survive
> suspend/resume.

I suspect some BIOSes do *not* screw up the MSI thing on resume, and
others do.

I would suggest that the real fix is to not do that kind of hackery at
suspend/resume time (because we can't know what the heck the BIOS does),
and instead just do one of two cases:

- since MSI is known to be broken for the sky2 driver due to firmware
bugs, just disable it by default if CONFIG_PM is enabled. The
advantages of MSI just aren't all that compelling. Possibly add a
command line option to force MSI to be enabled regardless.

Simple, direct, and should work for everybody.

- Just add a command line to disable MSI for people that it breaks for.

I don't actually like this one. It defaults to the unsafe behaviour,
and while that makes sense in a "well, your machine is broken anyway"
kind of way, the thing is, the advantages of MSI just aren't big enough
to warrant defaulting to a known-unsafe thing, even if only a small
percentage of machines are affected.

With _eventually_ maybe having a third possible situation:

- some way of figuring it out dynamically.

The third case doesn't seem to be very likely in the short term, though,
which is why I'd suggest one of the first two (the first one being
probably the best one).

Comments?

Linus