Re: Free Linux Driver Development!

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 17:19:51 EST

> You mean the bcm43xx wireless driver that's been upstream for months?

Sorry, yes. For some reason I thought it was blocked on the dscape
merge but obviously I was wrong. So a reverse-engineered driver got
upstream WAY FASTER than a driver where the vendor published specs and
GPLed source.

Why did that happen? I would argue that it was because way more
people cared about the broadcom driver (since the chip was in apple
laptops and the wrt54g among other things). That developer and user
interest is more important than the info provided by the vendor.

Anyway, I broke my first promise to drop this thread, but I'll make
the promise again now...

- R.