Re: Free Linux Driver Development!

From: Manu Abraham
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 18:46:25 EST

On 1/31/07, Roland Dreier <rdreier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To me, it's clear that historically the community hasn't delivered on
this. So I don't like promising something that we haven't been able
to follow through on in the past. If a vendor takes Greg's offer, and
then the community, for whatever reason, fails to deliver on
everything, then that makes us all (including me!) look bad just
because of Greg's hyperbolic promises.

I can't talk for every subsystem, but what we have under the DVB
subsystem, for the devices that we have access to specs we have well
behaved drivers, many have even complimented that they work much
better than their windows counterparts.

I have even received mails from some vendors that some of the Linux
drivers behave better than their own windows drivers.

We can't count on reverse eng 'd drivers (or even drivers written with
a lot of guess work due to lack of specifications), they don't behave
nice. So at least if the vendors were to provide some specs in that
direction, it would help to make those drivers better.

So i think to a certain as to what i can say, probably you are wrong.

regards,
manu