Re: 2.6.20-rc6-mm3

From: Karsten Wiese
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 19:55:33 EST

Am Dienstag, 30. Januar 2007 23:27 schrieb Andrew Morton:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:18:42 +0100
> Maciej Rutecki <maciej.rutecki@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<...>
> > I have two problems. First suspend to disk.
> >
> > After suspend to disk (before resume) I check time in bios, and it's
> > correct, but during resume, I have this message:
> >
> > "Suspending console(s)"
> >
> > system wait 20 seconds (or more) until finish resume. Also system clock
> > was slow about this 20 seconds.
>
> OK, thanks. That might be due to the time-management updates as well.
> I'll see if I can reproduce this.
>
> If you're keen, you could test just 2.6.19-rc6+origin.patch+git-acpi.patch
> from
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.20-rc6/2.6.20-rc6-mm3/broken-out
> and see which of these problems remain.

Similar weirdness here on rc6-mm2 and rc6-rt*:
resume from disk waits unduly long.
I played with bios clock setting after I wondered why susp/res
wouldn't work overnight:
the longer the (faked/real) suspend to disk time,
the longer the (not seen on 2.6.18-rt) waiting past the incrementing
% display, before things are running again.
After turning time backwards in bios, console mouse handler gpm experiences
"interrupted system call".

Some waiting times from rc6-rt6 from memory:

Config | HZ | NO_HZ + HRESTIMERS
cmos clock unchanged | 2s | 6s
cmos clock += 10min | | 2 minutes
cmos clock += 2 month | 20s | > 4minutes, test interrupted

Karsten