Re: How many people are using 2.6.16?

From: Steve French (smfltc)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 09:35:08 EST

David Chinner wrote:

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 08:02:37AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 06:36:48PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

The issue was somewhat confused by people certainly *reporting* it for older kernels. Also, as part of the dirty bit cleanups and sanity checkingwe did actually seem to fix a long-standing CIFS corruption (and apparently reisertfs/XFS problems too).

But the *common* case was actually introduced with 2.6.19, and 2.6.16 wouldn't be affected.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Regarding the longstanding CIFS/reiserfs/XFS problems, it seems the status is:

XFS:
fix not yet in your tree

With the WARN_ON() in cancel_dirty_page() removed:

http://git2.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=ecdfc9787fe527491baefc22dce8b2dbd5b2908d

XFS will behave exactly the same as 2.6.19 and previous releases.
The patches I sent were only ever really workarounds to greatly
reduce the race window that could lead to the warning being
triggered.

We really need Nick Piggin's invalidate/truncate/mmap race fixes to
properly solve the XFS issues uncovered by Linus' changes. Given
that we haven't had any reported cases of data corruption on XFS
(and I couldn't trigger any even when seeing the warnings) I think
we are fairly safe just maintaining the status quo and waiting the
right fix to make it's way into the tree....

Cheers,

Dave.

We did have one bug report of data corruption in cifs on older kernels copying large files which this resolves,
but 2.6.16 seems far enough to go back.