Re: x86 instability with 2.6.1{8,9}

From: Ken Moffat
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 18:27:06 EST

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 04:36:30PM -0500, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 04:29:11PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> > Bizarre - it panic'd again last Thursday while I was in X, but I
> > still didn't manage to log any output. At the weekend, I had the
> > bright idea of using chattr +j on the syslog to try to journal any
> > data, since then it has been fine. So, it isn't down to highmem, and
> > I still can't trigger it reliably, or get any trace. Tried running
> > as x86_64 this morning (because cold starts on Thursdays seem
> > particularly problematic, perhaps it's a time/power-supply-noise
> > problem), then x86 from a cold start this afternoon.
> >
> > Time to hope it won't bite me too often, and move on to testing
> > 2.6.20-rc6.
> >
> > Ken
> >
> Try disabling preempt.

Thanks for the suggestion - any particular reason ? That box is
running as 64-bit at the moment, and likely to stay that way for the
rest of this week while it builds userspace, but I'm not averse to
running 32-bit on it again if it serves a purpose.

However, in the vain hope I can actually get it to log something,
wouldn't it be more useful to continue running _with_ preempt ?

I'm starting to think it might have been yet another victim of the
solar flares, and the fact it was always running a 32-bit kernel
could have been coincidence.

Ken