2.6.16.16 Lost CD-ROM Drive

From: Brian D. McGrew
Date: Thu Feb 01 2007 - 10:00:33 EST

Hey guys-

Have a Precision workstation with SATA hard drive and SATA CD-ROM. If I
load Fedora Core 5 with a stock 2.6.15 kernel, life is good.

However, I need to use 2.6.16.16. Once I build and install this kernel,
my CD-ROM drive is gone. There is a log entry in dmesg that says "ATAPI
not support. Ignoring."

If I go into the BIOS and set the SATA operations to Legacy/Compatible
then everything is fine. I've rebuilt this kernel about 100 times
trying everything I can think of.

When I have SATA set to legacy, the HDD and CD are detected as /dev/hd*
and when they're set to SATA Normal operation the HDD is detected as
/dev/sda. If I boot my old 2.6.15 (stock install) kernel then the CD is
found as /dev/sdc.

I've even tried taking the installation default configuration file for
the 2.6.15 kernel and just wholesale copying it into my 2.6.16.16 kernel
and build that way but still no go.

What am I missing to get the 2.6.16.16 kernel to see a SATA CD-ROM drive
in normal, non-legacy move?

-brian

Brian D. McGrew { brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ||
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx }