Re: Free Linux Driver Development!

From: Michael K. Edwards
Date: Thu Feb 01 2007 - 12:48:51 EST

On 2/1/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sometimes I might be. At least on the days I have to deal with problems
in Windows (it's not even my machine, so I don't get to pick what it
runs all the time. :) I haven't had particularly much luck getting a
stable wireless going on linux yet, although I haven't put much effort
into it yet either. I figure in a couple of years there will be so many
wifi devices around that wireless won't work anymore anyhow so it isn't
a high priority. I like simple trustworthy wires.

For what it's worth, hostap + Prism chips of various kinds has worked
quite solidly for 7-8 years or so, and I shipped handheld products
with it in 2001 or so and ran all of my wireless infrastructure gear
on it until I switched to off-the-shelf Broadcom- and Atheros-based
gear a couple of years ago (running OpenWRT and variants thereof).
The apparent inability of any wireless vendor to fix a low-level
firmware bug without breaking at least one common order of operations
in the driver API is hardly Linux's fault.

As it stands, there's enough of a learning and fiddling curve with
every WiFi driver that it's usually not very time-efficient to get
WiFi working under Linux on any single box that shipped with Windows.
But given a controlled configuration and some up-front time
investment, it's not that hard to switch over your local environment
(my neighbors and I have a WDS mesh set up), at which point you may be
the only people within RF range whose WiFi doesn't go belly-up when
some mangled frame comes along. In this case, it's the last 20% of
the effort that produces 80% of the value. (Bye-bye, telco monopoly;
the only live wires remaining into our house are the AC mains.)

Cheers,
- Michael