Re: 2.6.18-stable release plans?

From: Jon Masters
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 01:48:50 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

"With 100 million computers in use today, we should expect roughly 6 million
single bit errors per year. Computer hardware and software companies must
receive thousands of "side effect" bug reports and support calls due to memory
errors alone. The costs of NOT including parity memory must be huge!"

I must be weird or something, but I often think about this and the sheer number of clock cycles executing at any one time around the world. Have you ever stopped to think how many copies of schedule() (or whatever) are currently running somewhere in the world? It's just nuts :-)

More seriously, if nobody cared about this stuff then we wouldn't have all this MCE reporting and tools to handle differentiating between actual failing DRAMs and temporary bit transitions in ECC memory.

Jon.