Re: Should io(read|write)(8|16|32)_rep take (const|) volatile u(8|16|32)__iomem *addr?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 06:08:17 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:
Volatile is usually reserved for a specific need on a specific arch. I doubt it is correct to force it on all arches.

They already are volatile; the issue is adding "const".

All io(read|write)* pointers are volatile, IIRC.

No, none are volatile, hence my comment.

[jgarzik@pretzel linux-2.6]$ grep volatile lib/iomap.c include/asm-generic/iomap.h [jgarzik@pretzel linux-2.6]$

Maybe you were thinking about writel() and friends, whose implementation (not prototype!) includes use of volatile.

Regards,

Jeff