Re: NCPFS and brittle connections

From: Petr Vandrovec
Date: Sun Feb 04 2007 - 01:01:26 EST

Pierre Ossman wrote:
Ok... how about this baby instead. I've replaced the stack allocated
request structure by one allocated with kmalloc() and reference counted
using an atomic_t. I couldn't see anything else that was associated to
the process, so I believe this should suffice.

(This is just a RFC. Once I get an ok from you I'll put together a more
proper patch mail)

- req.tx_type = *(u_int16_t*)server->packet;
-
- result = ncp_add_request(server, &req);
+ struct ncp_request_reply *req;
+
+ req = ncp_alloc_req();
+ if (!req)
+ return -ENOMEM;
+
+ req->reply_buf = reply_buf;
+ req->datalen = max_reply_size;
+ req->tx_iov[1].iov_base = server->packet;
+ req->tx_iov[1].iov_len = size;
+ req->tx_iovlen = 1;
+ req->tx_totallen = size;
+ req->tx_type = *(u_int16_t*)server->packet;

Problem is with these pointers - reply_buf & server->packet. Now code will just read packet from server->packet, and write result to reply_buf, most probably transmiting some random data to network, and overwriting innocent memory on receiption... I believe that you need to make copies of server->packet/size for transmission, and some simillar solution for receive as well. As both request & response can be up to ~66000 bytes.
Petr