Re: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 10:41:48 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, David Woodhouse wrote:
Ten years ago, people used 'depends on' to fix the tools, so that then
you want to enable something like USB_STORAGE, it can automatically turn
SCSI on for you.

Isn't that what you wanted?

Try it. It's not what it does.

If you have a

depends on SCSI

and you did not say you wanted SCSI, you'll never even *see* the question.

It will *not* turn on SCSI automatically for you. Quite the reverse. It will not even show you the option.

My favorite example of this is selinux, which you don't see unless you enable other unobvious things first. I say unobvious because until you do it the first few times you don't see the option, you ask menuconfig where it is, and it isn't there. So you go use your favorite tool to search the Kconfig until you find out why.

Now that's in part a failure of the menuconfig tool I use, which may not be in xconfig (I'll try that later today when I build a new kernel), but it seem odd that a major feature would not show unless something obscure were selected, and that the crypto features needed for selinux would be good candidates for SELECT.

Just because config is something mostly done by advanced user doesn't mean it should be difficult or time-consuming.

And why say "should have done" for the SCSI mess, it's correctable, if everyone agrees that you are right (who would dare disagree ;-) then it can be fixed.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>