cpu load balancing problem on smp

From: Marc Donner
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 13:03:56 EST

Hi @all

we have detected some problems on our live systems and so i have build a test
setup in our lab as follow:

3 Core 2 duo servers, each with 2 CPUs, with GE interfaces. 2 of them are
only for generating network traffic. the 3rd server is the one i want to
test. it is connected over two GE links to the other servers. the testserver
is configured as an ip router. running kernel 2.6.20.

now if i let traffic flow over the box, about 600Mbit/s and about 120k
packets/s all seems to be ok. the load is balanced over all cpus. if now
insert some iptables rules, about 500, the softirq load increases, but all
seems to be ok. now i insert some rules more, and suddenly 1 CPU is 100%
loaded and the other ones are 99% idle. the load toggles now between the cpus
in intervals.

i have made some graphs http://www.poweraudio.de/linux/cpu.html

this seems to me to be not normal.

any suggestions?