Re: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 18:11:53 EST

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> Yes, that's the solution that I decided on during lunch also:
> select <==> depends on

I think yuou can certainly enable an "expert mode", which just reads
"select" as "depends on".

You'll probably have to do *more* changes to the tools than my suggestion
to just make them let you know why they can't turn something off, though.
Why? Some things don't even have questions at all right now, and their
only life is as implied options that are turned on by others.

And yes, some silly people who hate "select" have tried to turn them into

bool SUBSYSTEM
default y
depends on X || Y || Z || XY || XZ || YZ

or similar, which is a hell of a lot less maintainable than just letting
X, Y, Z etc do 'select SUBSYSTEM'.

But "select SUBSYSTEM" still does exist, notably in places like SND_PCM
(where it would just be INSANE to list all the different sound drivers
that want it as a shitload of "depends on") but also for things like
NET_CLS and CRYPTO etc.

Linus