Re: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 18:18:44 EST

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 15:11 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > > But it doesn't matter. I'll come up with a hack for the tools which make
> > > them (optionally) treat 'select' of a user-visible option as if it
> > > was just 'depends on'. And that should fix the problem.
> >
> > Yes, that's the solution that I decided on during lunch also:
> > select <==> depends on
>
> I think yuou can certainly enable an "expert mode", which just reads
> "select" as "depends on".
>
> You'll probably have to do *more* changes to the tools than my suggestion
> to just make them let you know why they can't turn something off, though.
> Why? Some things don't even have questions at all right now, and their
> only life is as implied options that are turned on by others.
>
> And yes, some silly people who hate "select" have tried to turn them into

Out of interest, which people would this be? Not me, certainly.
I _use_ select, for options which don't have questions. There were two
such instances in the context of Ingo's mail of $subject, even.

And the thing Randy was saying "yes" to, which you elided but I've
restored in the above quotation, was the idea of turning 'select' into
'depends on' for _user-visible_ options. NOT for the ones which don't
have a question.

--
dwmw2