Re: Direct IO for fat

From: OGAWA Hirofumi
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 14:53:28 EST

Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx> writes:

>> > -> blockdev_direct_IO()
>> > -> direct_io_worker()
>> > -> do_direct_IO()
>> > -> get_more_blocks()
>> >
>> > create = dio->rw & WRITE;
>> Here, create == 1.
>>
>> > if (dio->lock_type == DIO_LOCKING) {
>> > if (dio->block_in_file < (i_size_read(dio->inode) >>
>> > dio->blkbits))
>> > create = 0;
>> But here create was reset back to 0 - exactly because
>> dio->block_in_file > i_size...
> Obviously, I'm blind and you're right ;) This test is not satisfied
> and so create == 1.
> But still it would seem better to me to return 0 from fat_direct_IO()
> instead of EINVAL so that write falls back to a buffered one, instead
> returning the error...

I see. When I wrote this, I thought kernel should use DIO to write if
user sets O_DIRECT. Because the wrong alignment request isn't fallback
to buffered-write, and it's also returns EINVAL.

But I don't have strong opinion here. If anyone (you) has any request
of it, I'll not have objection to it.
--
OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>