Re: finger @finger.kernel.org -> Connection refused

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 18:38:39 EST

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

It appears to have been dead for awhile now, did I miss something?
One of my scripts uses this functionality, which now appears
dead/disabled/offline.

Can anyone provide an update?

kernel.org front page sayz:

Aug 21, 2003: Please don't use finger.kernel.org for any sort of
automatic monitoring. The number of automatic bots hitting this port is
causing the finger daemon to shut down more often than not. The same
information is available from http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner.

;-)

Jan
--
ft: http://freshmeat.net/p/chaostables/

Thanks!

$ wget -q -O- http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner
The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.20
The latest snapshot for the stable Linux kernel tree is: 2.6.20-git1
The latest 2.4 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.4.34.1
The latest 2.2 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.2.26
The latest prepatch for the 2.2 Linux kernel tree is: 2.2.27-rc2
The latest -mm patch to the stable Linux kernels is: 2.6.20-rc6-mm3

Wget it is.

Justin.