Re: [patch 1/3] fs: add an iovec iterator

From: Nate Diller
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 21:04:16 EST

On 2/8/07, Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:49:53PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 02:07:24PM +0100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > Add an iterator data structure to operate over an iovec. Add usercopy
> > operators needed by generic_file_buffered_write, and convert that function
> > over.
>
> iovec_iterator is an awfully long and not very descriptive name.
> In past discussions we named this thingy iodesc and wanted to pass it
> down all the I/O path, including the file operations.

Hi Christoph,

Sure I think it would be a good idea to shorten the name. And yes, although
I just construct the iterator to pass into perform_write, I think it should
make sense to go much further up the call stack instead of passing all those
args around. iodesc seems like a fine name, so I'll use that unless
anyone objects.

i had a patch integrating the iodesc idea, but after some thought, had
decided to call it struct file_io. That name reflects the fact that
it's doing I/O in arbitrary lengths with byte offsets, and struct
file_io *fio contrasts well with struct bio (block_io). I also had
used the field ->nbytes instead of ->count, to clarify the difference
between segment iterators, segment offsets, and absolute bytecount.

FYI, the patch is still in the works and would convert the whole file
I/O stack to use the new structure. I would like to base it off of
this work as well if this makes it into -mm (as I think it should)

NATE