Re: [rfc][patch 0/3] a faster buffered write deadlock fix?

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 05:33:29 EST

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 02:09:54AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:54:05 +0100 Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > That's still got a deadlock,
>
> It does?

Yes, PG_lock vs mm->mmap_sem.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-mm&m=116865911432667&w=2

> > and also assumes nobody's ->nopage locks the page or
> > requires any resources that are held by prepare_write (something not
> > immediately clear to me with the cluster filesystems, at least).
>
> The nopage handler is filemap_nopage(). Are there any exceptions to that?

OCFS2 and GFS2.

> > But that all becomes legacy path, so do we really care? Supposing fs
> > maintainers like perform_write, then after the main ones have implementations
> > we could switch over to the slow-but-correct prepare_write legacy path.
> > Or we could leave it, or we could use Linus's slightly-less-buggy scheme...
> > by that point I expect I'd be sick of arguing about it ;)
>
> It's worth "arguing" about. This is write(). What matters more??

That's the legacy path that uses prepare/commit (ie. supposing that all
major filesystems did get converted to perform_write).

Of course I would still want my correct-but-slow version in that case,
but I just wouldn't care to argue if you still wanted to keep it fast.