Re: Network: convert network devices to use struct device instead of class_device

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 10:28:47 EST

On 2/9/07, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 22:59 -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Thursday 08 February 2007 19:56, Greg KH wrote:

> > > If physical devices are registered before class devices then when
> > > suspending class devices are naturally suspended first. It is still
> > > not clear to me why we need to convert everythign to struct device, I
> > > believe I've shown (with patches) that it is possible to integrate
> > > struct class_device into PM framework and avoid reshuffling half of
> > > the kernel code.
> >
> > I don't want to have two separate device trees in the kernel (well, one
> > big device tree and a bunch of little class_device trees.) The code
> > duplication in the class_device code is just too much, and I get
> > questions all the time as to what the differences are.
> >

> While duplication of code is a real concern my worry is constant fattening
> of struct device. For example most physical devices do not interface
> directly with userspace but every single one of them now has dev_t.
> Former class_devices do not need suspend/resume early framework either.
> And so on, and so forth.

The dev_t is a good example for the mess we try to fix here. Not having
a dev_t for "devices" lead to the creation of a lot of otherwise
completely useless "class devices" which are just a total pain to
interpret, and follow the events they create, from userspace.

Things like the scsi_device devices, usb_device devices, ... just exist,
because only this type of devices was allowed to pass information for
device nodes to userspace.

I admit I do not know scsi stack but I would expect that the only
things that need dev_t there would be sd, sr and sg interfaces. As
such they are separate entities and "deserve" their own structures no
mater what.

I can bet that number of real devices that need dev_t is smaller than
number of virtual devices that do not need full power management:

PCI cards, ACPI tree, etc, etc - hardware devices interfacing with
other parts of the kernel, not userspace directly.

NET, input, tty, etc - no need to suspend late/resume early

And, btw, having separate device and struct device does not prevent
exporting them as a unified sysfs tree and is in fact pretty easy to
do (I believe I posted patches to do that as well).

--
Dmitry