Re: Sata_via problems in a Vintage2-AE1

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Sat Feb 10 2007 - 09:46:21 EST

[cc'ing Alan and Jean, Hi!]

Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
A Divendres 09 Febrer 2007 18:13, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda va escriure:
A Divendres 09 Febrer 2007 10:46, Tejun Heo va escriure:
Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
Dear people,

I have a barebone Asus Vintage2-AE1 [1]. This box has a mobo Asus
A8V-MQ. The board has:
- the Socket 939 for AMD Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64.
- North Bridge: VIA K8M800
- South Bridge: VIA VT8251
- VIA Graphics Integrated
- IDE 2 x UltraDMA 133
- 4 x Serial ATA

I'm using the bios version 0206. The 0210 doesn't show me the vga card,
so I don't have graphics mode. I think that is a buggy bios.

The bios is configured with vt8251 in AHCI mode and bios boot up
activated, so the hd is recognized in the beginning. I don't have any
raid, only one hd. The hd is a Maxtor 6V250F0.

I'm using a debian etch but the i386 version. The only way that I can
use the hd is using a 2.6.16 standard kernel with the modifications
explained in this page [2]. Basically you have to use their ahci.c and
sata_via.c. The modifications are small from the original code from Mr
Jeff Garzik.

I have tried to use the 2.6.18 and 2.6.20rc6 and the result is the
same. The kernel boots, but when arrives at the ata3,

scsi2 : ahci
ata3: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata3.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
ata3.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x104)
.... repeated some times ...
scsi3 : ahci
ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
scsi4 : ahci
ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
scsi5 : ahci
ata6: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
Done.
Begin: Mounting root file system... ...
Begin: Running /scripts/local-top
ide0: I/O resource 0x3F6-0x3F6 not free.
ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe.
ide1: I/O resource 0x376-0x376 not free.
ide1: ports already in use, skipping probe.
Done.
Begin: Waiting for root file system ...
It might be VIA IRQ quirk problem.

1. Does giving 'irqpoll' parameter to kernel make any difference?
yes. Now it boots. However I'm having a lot of messages:
APIC error on CPU0
and I begin to have problems with the network card.

2. Can you give a shot at 2.6.20?
yes, I'm doing it now.

Thank's a lot. But, why with irqpoll works and without no?

well, I summarize.

With the default options of the kernel I cannot boot in this device with any kernel. Only with 2.6.20 and the irqpoll or the 2.6.16 modified files I can boot.

I have a lot of APIC error on CPU0.

It seems one of via pci routing quirk problem. Can you give a shot at 'acpi=off' or 'acpi=noirq' without 'irqpoll'?

I dunno much about what's going on there. Alan, Jean, any ideas?

Thanks.

--
tejun