git backlight tree

From: Richard Purdie
Date: Sat Feb 10 2007 - 19:35:22 EST

As mentioned previously, I've setup a backlight git tree at:

http://git.o-hand.com/?p=linux-rpurdie-backlight;a=shortlog;h=for-mm
(git://git.o-hand.com/linux-rpurdie-backlight)

A patch of the combined changes to mainline is:

http://www.rpsys.net/openzaurus/patches/git_backlight-r1.patch.gz

I've included a git shortlog and diffstat output below.

A few months ago Dmitry highlighted some problems with the backlight
code and I've included patches to fix the issues raised. I've also
included several pending backlight patches adding drivers or fixing
other bugs.

The backlight code was turning into a locking minefield, several mutexes
deep in places and was in need of some cleanup which these patches
attempt, by simplifying locks and documenting what they protect.

Whilst working on the above I noticed some ways of removing some code
duplication particularly with the powermac backlight hooks. There were
also several backlight calls from fb_blank methods which aren't needed
with the backlight code so I've removed them. There should be no
functionality changes.

I've cc'd various people who've been involved with areas of the
backlight code. If people could check the changes to their
hardware/areas of interest over or better still, test them I'd
appreciate it as I can't compile or runtime test all of these changes.
These changes should be appearing in the next -mm and I'm hoping it
might still be possible to get them into 2.6.21 and iron out any issues
during the -rc releases.

Richard

MAINTAINERS | 5
arch/powerpc/kernel/traps.c | 6 -
arch/powerpc/platforms/powermac/backlight.c | 27 +---
drivers/acpi/asus_acpi.c | 7 -
drivers/acpi/ibm_acpi.c | 8 -
drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.c | 7 -
drivers/acpi/video.c | 36 ++----
drivers/macintosh/via-pmu-backlight.c | 33 ++----
drivers/misc/asus-laptop.c | 31 +----
drivers/misc/msi-laptop.c | 10 -
drivers/usb/misc/appledisplay.c | 22 +---
drivers/video/Kconfig | 73 ++++++-------
drivers/video/aty/aty128fb.c | 102 +++---------------
drivers/video/aty/atyfb_base.c | 100 +++---------------
drivers/video/aty/radeon_backlight.c | 59 ++--------
drivers/video/aty/radeon_base.c | 3
drivers/video/backlight/Kconfig | 24 ++--
drivers/video/backlight/Makefile | 1
drivers/video/backlight/backlight.c | 123 +++++++++++-----------
drivers/video/backlight/corgi_bl.c | 54 ++++-----
drivers/video/backlight/hp680_bl.c | 50 +++++----
drivers/video/backlight/lcd.c | 83 +++++++--------
drivers/video/backlight/locomolcd.c | 13 +-
drivers/video/backlight/progear_bl.c | 153 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/video/chipsfb.c | 26 ----
drivers/video/console/fbcon.c | 7 +
drivers/video/fbsysfs.c | 14 +-
drivers/video/nvidia/nv_backlight.c | 92 ++--------------
drivers/video/nvidia/nv_proto.h | 2
drivers/video/nvidia/nvidia.c | 5
drivers/video/riva/fbdev.c | 100 +++---------------
include/linux/backlight.h | 50 +++++++--
include/linux/fb.h | 13 +-
include/linux/lcd.h | 45 ++++++--

Dmitry Torokhov (2):
backlight: Fix error handling
backlight: Remove excessive (un)likelys

James Simmons (1):
backlight: Improve backlight selection for fbdev drivers

Marcin Juszkiewicz (1):
backlight: Add Frontpath ProGear HX1050+ driver

Michael Hanselmann (1):
backlight: Fix null pointer dereference in appledisplay driver

Richard Purdie (15):
backlight: Add maintainer entry
backlight: Remove unneeded owner field
backlight: Minor code cleanups for corgi_bl.c
backlight: Minor code cleanups for hp680_bl.c
backlight: Fix external uses of backlight internal semaphore
backlight: Convert semaphore -> mutex
backlight: Remove uneeded nvidia set_power calls
backlight: Fix Kconfig entries
backlight/fbcon: Add FB_EVENT_CONBLANK
backlight: Remove uneeded update_status call from chipsfb.c
backlight: Remove unneeded backlight update_status calls
backlight: Rework backlight/fb interaction simplifying, lots
backlight: Clean up pmac_backlight handling
backlight: Separate backlight properties from backlight ops pointers
backlight: simplify corgi_bl locking