Re: [take36 10/10] kevent: Kevent based generic AIO.

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Feb 12 2007 - 07:09:03 EST

Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> aio_sendfile_path() is essentially aio_sendfile(), except that it takes
> source filename as parameter, has a pointer to private header
> and its size (which allows to send header and file's content in one syscall
> instead of three (open, send, sendfile) and returns opened file descriptor.

Are you sure this is a useful optimization? Do you have numbers vs open+aio_sendfile+close?

Compared to the cost of sending a complete file three system calls should be quite in the noise.
And Linux system calls are not that expensive (few hundred cycles normally)

Adding such compound system calls would be a worrying precedent because
I'm sure others would want them then for their favourite system call combo
too. If they were really useful it might make more sense to have a batch()
system call that works for arbitary calls, but I'm not convinced yet
it's even needed. It would be certainly ugly.

-Andi