Re: Documenting MS_RELATIME

From: Valerie Henson
Date: Mon Feb 12 2007 - 14:42:41 EST

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:40:10AM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:

> The one problem with noatime is that mutt's 'new mail arrived' breaks
> as you mentioned in the relatime changelog, so I'm surprised that
> they turned it on by default. With relatime fixing that however,
> I'm also unaware of anything that breaks. I'd be curious to
> do a Fedora test release with relatime, but I know the answer I'll
> get when I recommend we add it to our generated fstabs..
>
> "If it's good enough, why isn't it the kernel default"
>
> Hence my current line of questioning ;-)

Okay, I have to admit I used the normal atime semantics, exactly once.
Someone hacked my laptop about 4 years ago (back when I didn't have a
firewall and a remotely exploitable samba server was on by default in
some Red Hat install). I pulled the plug on the network (no wireless
either) and figured out which files the attacker read, which gave me
some peace of mind. :)

Personally, I'd trade that for the performance/battery life/etc. of
relatime.

-VAL