Re: SATA Drive No Longer Recognized In New 2.6.20 Kernel

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon Feb 12 2007 - 19:44:36 EST

Joseph Cosby wrote:
Hi,
Until recently I was using the 2.6.18 kernel. I have a SATA hard drive
that was detected by the kernel, using the PIIX driver. But after
updating to 2.6.20, the hard drive is no longer detected by the kernel.
I used make oldconfig to create the 2.6.20 config file, and I noticed a
new option CONFIG_ATA. I did not use this, because as I understand it is
not necessary and is experimental. Do I need to use this or is there
something else in the new kernel that needs to be enabled for this
driver?

My 2.6.20 config file follows.
The hard drive has vendor ID 8086 and device ID 27c0. It is listed in the
modules.pcilist file of 2.6.18 but not 2.6.20.

If anybody can share any advice please CC me in response.

Yes, you do need CONFIG_ATA if you were using ata_piix before (and of course the PIIX driver also needs to be enabled). All of the libata drivers were moved from under the SCSI menu into a new ATA menu (in 2.6.19 I think).

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx