Re: Sata_via problems in a Vintage2-AE1

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Tue Feb 13 2007 - 06:20:39 EST

Hi Leopold,

Le Lundi 12 Février 2007 17:23, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda a écrit :
> A Dilluns 12 Febrer 2007 10:11, Jean Delvare va escriure:
> > Did you report the problem to Asus? They should fix it. Maybe this new
> > BIOS actually fixes some other problems you have.
>
> no. It's on the todo list. However I'm a bit afraid because I'm not using
> the "official" system so probably they will say that "we do not support
> ..."

That's indeed probable, but if enough people report the same problems, they
might still end up looking into it.

> Well in http://via8251.la-evento.com/index.html
>
> <off topic>
> please tell me that I'm not violating any rule about the linux-kernel list
> putting this link :-S
> </off topic>
>
> claims that the VT8251 are supported in 2.6.20. As always you nned to see
> the official place .... :-(

That's quite a bold claim considering that the VT8251 includes many different
functions (PATA, SATA, USB, SMBus...) and can be configured differently on
different motherboards. Maybe most functions are supposedly supported as of
2.6.20, but it doesn't mean everything works for everyone, as you are
experiencing yourself.

> > *If* the VT8251 needs the VIA IRQ quirk, then the attached patch may
> > help. Leopold, can you give it a try?
>
> Well, making your patch to the vanilla 2.6.20 the result is the same. The
> box doesn't boot. Always the same problem ....

If it's not a VIA IRQ problem, then there's nothing more I can do, sorry.
Someone else will have to look into the problem.

Out of curiosity, with my patch applied, did you see any "VIA VLink IRQ fixup"
messages on the console?

--
Jean Delvare
Suse L3