Re: [patch 00/11] ANNOUNCE: "Syslets", generic asynchronous systemcall support

From: Alan
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 05:55:53 EST

> > Ooooohh. OpenVMS lives forever ;) Me likeee ;)
>
> hm, i dont know OpenVMS - but googled around a bit for 'VMS
> asynchronous' and it gave me this:

VMS had SYS$QIO which is asynchronous I/O queueing with completions of
sorts. You had to specifically remember if you wanted to a synchronous
I/O.

Nothing afaik quite like series of commands batched async, although VMS
has a call for everything else so its possible there is one buried in the
back of volume 347 of the grey wall ;)

Looking at the completion side I'm not 100% sure we need async_wait given
the async batches can include futex operations...

Alan