Re: smp and irq conflict

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 11:44:40 EST

Benny Amorsen wrote:
"BD" == Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> writes:

BD> You may be able to move one board to another slot, but looking at
BD> the bandwidth I suspect you may need a server motherboard with
BD> multiple busses, preferably running at 66MHz 64bit. I don't think
BD> this is a interrupt problem, but you can just try capture on two
BD> channels which share an interrupt, like bttv0 and bttv7 to verify
BD> that.

66MHz 64bit isn't much fun when the capture cards are 33MHz 32bit.

It doesn't help the video to bus, but multiple busses to give a bus per card would help, and assuming the data are being saved to disk using a decent disk controller which can use the additional bandwidth, at least some conflict is avoided or reduced.

This is really a case of using general hardware to the utmost, I suspect more m/b bandwidth will be needed somewhere.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc