Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.5.0

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 11:46:38 EST

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Bill Lear wrote:

> This is enabled by passing the --enable=receive-pack to the
> git-daemon (usually in the [x]?inetd configuration).
>
> This has the benefit of:

Before you list the benefits, you should always talk about the lack of
security! Let nobody enable it without realizing the dangers! Tell people
to _only_ do this inside a company firewall, and even then, only if you
trust everybody.

> 2) A less ugly URL to use: git://server/repo, instead of, say,
> ssh+git://server/path/to/repos/repo.

Why do people use that silly "ssh+git://" format?

It's a cogito thing. Native git has never done it, and only supports it
because cogito thought it must make sense.

The native git ssh URL is exactly the normal ssh URL:

server:/path/to/repos/repo

and if you really want to use the "xxx://" format, you might as well just
use

ssh://server/path/to/repos/repo

which should also work fine.

Linus

PS. This is the commit message that added "git+ssh://":

Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri Oct 14 17:14:56 2005 -0700

Support git+ssh:// and ssh+git:// URL

It seemed to be such a stupid syntax. It's both what "ssh://" means,
and it's what not specifying a protocol at _all_ means.

But hey, since we already have two ways of saying "use ssh with
pack-files", here's two more.

so it was deemed stupid from the get-go, and isn't even some "legacy"
thing. It's purely a "cogito people thought it makes sense to point out
that it's _both_ native git _and_ ssh protocol".