Re: 2.6.20-git8 fails compile -- net/built-in.o __ipv6_addr_type

From: Chuck Lever
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 20:01:23 EST

David Miller wrote:
From: Pete Clements <clem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:10:13 -0500 (EST)

2.6.20-git8 fails compile:

CHK include/linux/compile.h
UPD include/linux/compile.h
CC init/version.o
LD init/built-in.o
LD .tmp_vmlinux1
net/built-in.o: In function `svc_udp_recvfrom':
svcsock.c:(.text+0x61be4): undefined reference to `__ipv6_addr_type'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

Chuck, you will need to somehow make CONFIG_SUNRPC "depend" upon IPV6
so that if IPV6 is modular SUNRPC can only be built modular.

Otherwise the symbols won't resolve correctly.

Everybody hits this problem when they add ipv6 support to
something. :-)

Interestingly, doing a build with ALLYESCONFIG, ALLMODCONFIG, and ALLNOCONFIG doesn't catch this type of error.

I just did a copy+paste and that brought in ipv6_addr_type. So I'm not convinced it's really needed here. David, can you take a look at the code in svcsock.c right around the ipv6_addr_type() call and let me know if we can avoid that call outright? begin:vcard
fn:Chuck Lever
n:Lever;Chuck
org:Oracle Corporation;Corporate Architecture Linux Projects Group
email;internet:chuck dot lever at nospam oracle dot com
title:Principal Member of Staff
tel;work:+1 248 614 5091
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1