Re: [patch 16/21] Xen-paravirt: Add code into head.S to handle being booted by Xen

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 20:41:56 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> Ok. If that is all this may be a difference that makes no difference.
>> binutils has a bad habit of looking at sections (which are fully
>> optional) instead of segments on ET_EXEC and ET_DYN objects. Only
>> ET_REL objects (.o files) are required to have sections.
>>

> The Xen domain loader will have to be changed to deal with that, which
> isn't too much of a problem.

Ok. Please fix the Xen domain loader to not look at sections. It
is a bug for any kind of executable loader to look at anything other
then segments.

> My main concern is the randomness of it, and whether it will fail in
> some more harmful way on other versions of binutils.

Reasonable and it's probably worth letting the binutils developer know.
I do agree that it is weird. It might be that something in binutils
doesn't like us dropping some of the notes.

>> So I recommend for testing write a 100 line program that includes
>> elf.h and reads out the note segment. If all is well we can split
>> this code out.
>>

> The Xen readnotes utility is essentially that. I'll hack it.

Sounds good.

Eric