Re: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 06:52:04 EST

v j <vj.linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2/14/07, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 21:16 -0800, v j wrote:

>> > This is in reference to the following thread:
>> >
>> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/14/63
>> >
>> > I am not sure if this is ever addressed in LKML, but linux is _very_
>> > popular in the embedded space. We (an embedded vendor) chose Linux 3
>> > years back because of its lack of royalty model, robustness and
>> > availability of infinite number of open-source tools.

>> I think you have a bit of a misunderstanding... Linux is not royalty
>> free. Just the royalty is not in the form of cash, but in the form of
>> having to give your improvements back to the open source world.
>
> Sure. But this is not legally binding.

Gee, you have the choice: Be bound, or be using something different because
you opted not to accept the license that would allow you to use linux.
If you use linux and say "I don't accept the license", it's like stepping
into a train saying "I don't want to make a contract, so I don't have to pay".
--
Funny quotes:
14. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Friß, Spammer: Xm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx yz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx