Re: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 09:45:07 EST

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 23:28 -0800, v j wrote:
> On 2/14/07, Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > At least one of us is confused about that an embedded User is.
> > It seems to me that you are an embedded developer, not User.
> > I doubt that most Embedded Users care what their OS is,
> > or even know what an OS is.
>
> I am not sure what the difference is. We are trying to use Linux to
> support our application. It may be that Linux has a bug, or our
> application. When it is Linux, that has the problem, I have tried to
> inform the community of that.

It would be much more helpful - especially for your product - to fix the
bug. And to stay "open" you can also submit the patch.

> > > Not everybody has to be a contributor. The reason Linux is popular is
> > > because of its openness. Take that away and see where it goes.
> >
> > We seem to have different definitions of open and closed.
>
> Open = 3rd party Linux drivers can be loaded. Closed = No third party
> Linux drivers can be loaded.

You can always load 3rd party drivers - even if you compile module
support out of it.
Or do you really meant: Closed == No closed source 3rd party drivers
will be loaded because it is the decision of the company that pays the
developers.

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55