Re: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 18:21:29 EST

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 17:41 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 18:40 +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> >> Rhetorical question: what stops me from taking somebody's copyrighted
> >> work, stripping the copyrights or falsely claiming to have a license
> >> to redistribute it, then selling it?
> >
> > No one.
>
> Well, that's not quite true, is it? This little microcosm of life has
> its checks and balances, and certainly strives for an equilibrium.
>
> You make a choice, as in Nick's example, to balance the risk of being

ACK.

> caught, being sued, being shamed, and/or being avoided by customers
> against the perceived rewards.

ACK, *iff* you get caught.

But I cannot stop you if you just do it. Perhaps I can stop you later on
if I find it out, can proove it sufficient to go to court (or at least
threaten enough) and have the economical power to do it.

> Negative incentives are present, is the overall answer, even if they are
> not immediately obvious and spelled out in excruciating detail.

Of course. And given the cases on gpl-violations.org I fear I'm right.

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55