Re: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers

From: Lee Revell
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 20:58:41 EST

On 2/15/07, Greg Trounson <gregt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wasn't disputing legal problems with proprietary drivers nor suggesting people ignore
the issue. I was trying to make the point that Linux is adversely affected when lots of
users, proprietary developers or otherwise, abandon Linux, and the issue might be more
serious than people here think.

IMO the lack of provision for proprietary drivers in the GPL is a problem. Not
necessarily one we can do anything about now the horse has bolted, but a problem nonetheless.

What has changed lately that would cause anyone to "abandon Linux"?
The rules are the same as they have ever been, and Linux is more
popular than ever in the embedded market.

Lee