Re: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers

From: Alexandre Oliva
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 00:58:11 EST

On Feb 16, 2007, Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>>> No, that's the FSF marketing fluff you've been taught to recite.
>>
>> The same FSF that wrote the GPL, no less ;-)
>>
>>> I'm referring to the original reason why Linus chose the GPL

>> If he chose it for this reason, he chose the wrong license.

> Strange, then, how its been so successful in funelling back contributions.

There's nothing strange about it. Promoting (as opposed to mandating)
contributions is a great possible, even probable consequence of the
GPL, but it is far from being the whole point of the GPL.

If Linus' whole point had been to funnel back contributions, assuming
he fully understood the GPL back when he chose it, he'd probably have
chosen a different license that *required* contributions to be
funneled back. And then Linux would have remained non-Free Software.

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/