Re: Problem with 2.6.20 and highmem64

From: Nilshar
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 03:39:08 EST

I can confirm that it works fine with 2.6.20-rc2.
Do you need me to try any other ? do you need any more info ?

2007/2/14, Nilshar <nilshar@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hello,
I have an issue with latest 2.6.20 kernel..
my last kernel was a 2.6.18 and I wanted to upgrade to a 2.6.20, I
copied .config and did a make menuconfig, then save/quit. I compiled
new kernel, all went fine.
I installed it and at boot time, I had a hang just after "Freeing
unused kernel memory" where INIT is supposed to start.
After searching the web, I found that it is usually the case when
wrong process type is configured.. I verified that, but all was fine
there.
After 10ish compiled kernel, I found that it is when I select highmem64.

Diff between working and non working kernel :

181,182c181,182
< # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
< CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
---
> CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
> # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
185d184
< CONFIG_X86_PAE=y
191c190
< CONFIG_RESOURCES_64BIT=y
---
> # CONFIG_RESOURCES_64BIT is not set

(I just witching highmem 4G and highmem64g).

I'll attach the full .config.

it used to work fine with highmem64g with a kernel 2.6.18 and 2.6.19
(I'm sure it was ok with .20-rc2 but I'll double check that).

Is this a bug ? or something I did wrong ?

Oh, I probably should add that this hang doesn't occur on all
hardware, but it happen on Dell PE 850 at least.

If you need additional informations, just ask :)