Re: [patch] mm: NUMA replicated pagecache

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 08:36:09 EST

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 06:29:29PM -0500, Lee Schermerhorn wrote:

> I've attached another patch that closes one race and fixes a context
> problem [irq/preemption state] in __unreplicate_page_range(). This
> makes the locking even uglier :-(.
>
> I get further with this patch. Boot all the way up and can run fine
> with page replication. However, I still get a NULL pcd in
> find_get_page_readonly() when attempting a highly parallel kernel build
> [16cpu/4node numa platform]. I'm still trying to track that down.

OK, before you get further with your testing, I have done a rework. Sorry
you had to wade through that last lot of uncommented spaghetti. This
upcoming version should actually be a reasonable base to do testing and
development on.

> Question about locking: looks like the pcache_descriptor members are
> protected by the tree_lock of the mapping, right?

Yes. I figured that this would be cleanest and simplest for now. This
locking model is retained in the rework.

Nick